Friday, November 7, 2008

Change

Today is Friday, or "Hangover Day" as I have come to call it. No, I don't go on a bender every Thursday -though that's certainly an interesting idea. Instead, Friday is the day when I put the long week of teaching behind me and don't put any demands on myself. So far, I've recorded attendance and participation for the week, walked aimlessly through the Red Dot Boutique, and treated myself to lunch at Panera Bread. Now, I'm waiting on the dryer repairman.

I'm also contemplating making a change in my apartment. When I moved into this apartment, I changed the look of my bedroom. Gone were the pastels and daisies of my old duvet cover. In with the red and white. I like the bold color against the pine dresser, bed, and nightstands.

Of course, changing one thing led to any number of problems. I had to change the curtains. Out with the pastel green, in with the khaki. I have yet to replace the pastel green blanket that went with the old bedding. I figure that no one will see the blanket so I don't need to be in a hurry to change it. And, the last time I priced blankets, they were much more than I wanted to spend. Besides, I live in Georgia. I don't need no stinkin' blanket.

The trickle-down effect from the new duvet cover spread into the adjoining bathroom. I've ignored the discordant decorating schemes, but with all the talk about change, I just can't take it anymore. I'll be the first to admit that my bathroom decorating is uninspired. Whatever inspiration there was related to the old bedroom. Case in point:
The green rug worked great with the pastel theme from the bedroom (which is on the other side of the door. You can't tell from this picture, but the shower curtain has a fern pattern on it, also worked great with the pastel theme. Even the basket worked.
Now, not so much. (On a side note: I never imagined that I'd post a picture of my toilet on my blog. I really have run out of things to write about.)

Another view:

This is taken while standing in the doorway shown in the other picture. Yes, my bathroom has two doors. Kind of like the mirror has two faces, but totally different. The two doors only cause problems when guests come to visit. In other words, the two doors never cause a problem. With the two doors, the bathroom becomes a short-cut between the office and the bedroom, and who wouldn't want that?

Anyway, as you can see, decor is sad and depressing. I promise that the colors are more vibrant than this picture shows, but they're still pastel.

So, I'm looking for change. I'd like to extend the warmer tones from the bedroom into the bathroom. I don't think I want to do red necessarily, because then it all feels too "matchy matchy." I saw some really nice chocolate brown towels at Bed Bath and Beyond, so that may be a place to start. My plan is to figure out what I want and get it on my Christmas list and wait to see what Santa brings. Can I change? Yes I can!

(Note that I figured out how to make my camera talk to my computer. It's a good day.)

No comments: