Saturday, April 18, 2009

More Signs of Spring

It's still Spring in the southland. We've had beautiful weather for the past few days - no humidity, temps in the 70s, bright blue skies. Perfect. We'll all remember these days when it's as hot as the surface of the sun in August.


Over the past few days, I've also taken note of another sign of Spring, namely the outrageous amount of clutter and disarray in my home office. Because I live 75 miles from my campus office, I do most of my work from home. The campus office is where I hang out between classes. As a result, the normal amount of crap that is in your office is in my house. Fortunately, it is largely confined to one room - the largest bedroom in the apartment.


However, I know that the end of the semester approacheth because I can no longer see any flat surface in my home office. Allow me to present the evidence:


This is my desk. Note the stacks of books and papers that haven't found a home, and probably never will. Note that they are blocking access to the file cabinet. In other words, none of that stuff is in the file cabinet because I can't open the drawer. And, I have a problem with "out of sight, out of mind." Once something goes into a cabinet or on a shelf, it ceases to exist. Most people develop object permanence around age 3. Not me, apparently.


Also, note the stacks of papers on the corner of the desk. In case you're wondering, I don't have any idea what's in that stack. I simply pile more stuff on top of it when I'm working and hope that the stack doesn't become top heavy. Someday, I'll sort through that stack. Someday.


Moving on...

This is my dissertation. Well, it's part of the dissertation. If you look closely at the right side of the other file cabinet with blocked drawers, you can see the last 2 file boxes. When I was writing the dissertation, I kept all of my files in these boxes for easy transport. And, the boxes are transparent and when I open the lid, I can see all the files. No need for object permanence. The boxes are organized by archival collection and by region.


Note the files in the front of the file box. Those are the overflow files. They should have a home. They don't - because I ran out of room in the boxes and never bought another box. So, there they sit, like red-tabbed step-children while all the other files nestle in their army-green hanging folders. (By the way, there are 3 more file boxes in the closet - but since they are behind a door, I don't ever think about them.)

Note also the HUGE stack of paper in front of the file cabinet - the mound that's blocking access to the drawers. It's my "recycling/shredding" pile. It's been right there for well over a year. It is the remnant of my last attempt at organization. It is refuse, garbage, trash, crap. I intended to shred it or recycle it. Intentions are fantastic, and maddening all at the same time. The pile hasn't grown, it just sits there, gathering more dust and blocking access to the file cabinet. (In case you're wondering, I have no idea what's in that cabinet. I feel sure that I thought it was important at one time.) I always promise myself that one day, I'll work my way through that damn pile. I'll shred the papers with students' names on them and take the rest to the recycling bin. Then, I sigh, turn my back to the pile, and before I know it, another day has passed. I really need to do something about that pile of paper.


But, wait, we're not done. Here's a shot of the top of the table over the file boxes:



Yeah, I don't have much to say about this. It is as it appears - a table covered in crap piled on top of more crap. I think there's a grand total of 3 packages of paper under all of that crap. Really should do something about that.


I know what you're thinking: Why don't you buy more file cabinets? Well, because I have a perfectly good filing system. I pile crap on the table, on my desk, and on the floor, and when those spaces are maxed out, I pile crap on the sofa:


The good news is that the crap hides some of the hideous upholstery on this couch. No, I did NOT choose this pattern. I did choose to use it for de facto filing. Really should do something about all of that crap.


And, this isn't all the crap. No, here's the day-to-day crap that hasn't made the trip down the hall:



Recently, my friend posted an entry in her blog about spring cleaning in her home office. She is also a writer and does not have an office outside of the home. She described her cleaning process and gave an accounting of the trash that left her house. I don't remember the precise figures, but the accounting included trash bags, recycling bins, and file folders. What struck me was her utter joy at rediscovering the surfaces in her office.

So, with that inspiration, I've made a promise to myself. When this semester officially ends, I will get some control over the crap. I might even buy a new file cabinet. And, I will figure out how to remember what's in the cabinets.

No comments: