Sunday, January 27, 2008

Candy Wrappers

I like to keep chocolate in the house, because sometimes, you just need a bite of chocolate - or two, or three bites of chocolate. Lately, I've been enjoying Dove chocolate. Anyone who's eaten Dove chocolates knows that the good folks at Dove print "Promises Messages" on the inside of the foil wrappers. The messages are typically schmaltzy, warm and fuzzy kinds of reminders to enjoy the little things in life. I usually read them, scoff cynically, and crumble the wrapper in my hand.

The other day, I got two pieces of foil-wrapped candy from the dish and sat down. I unwrapped the first one, popped the candy in my mouth and smoothed out the wrapper. "Listen to your heartbeat and dance," I read. "What the hell?" I thought. Listen to my heartbeat and dance? Have they run out of Promise Messages at Dove? First of all, I don't have a stethoscope so how would I listen to my heartbeat. And second, why would I listen to my heartbeat and dance?

With that thought echoing through my head, I unwrapped the second piece of candy and smoothed out that wrapper. I'm not kidding, I'm not making this up - the message inside said, "Hey, why not?" Seems the good folks at Dove are also smartasses.

In case you're wondering, although I've stopped questionning the reasons why, I have not listened to my heartbeat and I haven't danced - but I haven't ruled it out.

No comments: