Friday, January 18, 2008

Earthier and Crunchier

The other day, I received a coupon for the local organic/health food grocery store. It's across town and buried deep in a neighborhood that's not on my regular route, so I never think about the store. However, the coupon promised a free, fresh-baked apple pie. So, I found my way there.

I've been in similar stores, but hadn't been to this one. It's a scaled-down Whole Foods. I decided to wander around a bit, so it wouldn't look like I came just for the free pie (when, in fact, I had come just for the free pie). I wandered up and down the aisles, remembering that it's not a good idea to shop for food when you're hungry. Perhaps my grumbling stomach explains my positive response to everything I saw. Organic oranges? Mmmm. Blue corn chips? Mmmm. Tofu? Yum yum. "But wait," I thought, "I don't like tofu." I reflected on my mouth-watering that didn't seem to be related to nausea. Maybe I was becoming more earthy-crunchy. Maybe the twice-weekly yoga was permeating my brain, causing me to think that tofu was more than a big, soggy block of blandness.

I carried on. Before I knew it, I had an organic frozen pizza and organic bagel chips in my basket. I made my way to the bakery where I found organic sunflower whole wheat bread. And, finally, the prize - the free apple pie. I found that I wasn't turned off by the label that proudly proclaimed that my free pie was really free - "preservative free, dairy free, and trans fats free." All of this helped me feel better about eating this entire pie by myself.

I went to the frozen food section and looked at the ice cream. I glanced at my free pie, so proud of its dairy-freeness. I decided not to befoul the pie with ice cream. I paid for my incredibly random purchases (a frozen pizza, a bag of bagel chips, a bottle of white wine, a loaf of bread, and a free pie) and left. I drove away, chomping on my organic bagel chips and wishing I'd bought some organic juice. Who knows? Maybe tomorrow, I'll go buy some Birkenstocks and find a tree to hug.

No comments: