Friday, March 21, 2008

Women's History Month

It's Women's History Month - in case you didn't know. As a women's historian, I feel compelled to write at least one blog entry about this important event. I could extoll the virtues of famous women like Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. I could list many of the important accomplishments by women in US History. I could write something thoughtful about Hilary Rodham Clinton's historic run for President. I could do any of those things, but I'm not. Instead, I'm going to talk about the campus where I teach.

This week, we happened to discuss the Second Great Awakening and Reform Movements of the antebellum period. I didn't plan it that way, it's just the way the course worked out. Many of my students had no great awakening during my lecture, which I'll admit was a real snooze fest. Yesterday, we discussed issues related to women and reform. One of my male students kept referring to "all of us men" and making comments about how women had a lot of power because "they can withhold favors at home" or "they can nag until they get what they want." This is a student who believes he's much more charming than he actually is. I was so proud of one of my female students when she spoke up and said, "I think you have personal problems." If that's not celebrating Women's History Month, I don't know what is.

In honor of Women's History Month, the campus organized a panel discussion. No, it's not about famous women in history. No, they didn't invite female leaders from the nearby surrounds to share their experiences. Instead, it's a panel discussion on: Do you really know your date? the Director of Student Life, a Public Safety Representative, and the Director of Victim Services are going to discuss date rape, harassment, and online Facebook issues.

I'll be the first to admit that these are important issues. But to label the program, "Celebrating Women's History Month" just seems to reinforce the message that women's history is only about violence, victimization, and individual relationships. It also sends a message that these issues only affect women, and only deserve special attention when we turn our attention to "women's issues." Personally, I blame the Lifetime Network for this interpretation of women's history.

During Black History Month, this same campus sponsored a debate about whether students should be required to take African American History. From what I understand, it turned into a free-for-all against the poor sucker who volunteered to argue the negative side of the argument. Very helpful in promoting open dialogue.

So, here's what I think. We celebrate Women's History Month when we shift focus away from gendered stereotypes to honor the accomplishments of all women. We celebrate women's history when we have meaningful discussions about persistent economic disparity and continuing struggles to define and achieve "balance." We celebrate African American History M0nth when we engage in thoughtful debate about race in this country, when we stop long enough to listen, when we stop long enough to get past knee-jerk emotional responses to discuss real and important issues - like economic disparity, unequal access to education and employment, the myth that this country has gotten past its troubled history with race.

We celebrate women's history and African American history when we realize that both are, in fact, the history of this country.

1 comment:

mplasticus said...

The community college where I teach offers a one-semester women's history course. The course description reads:

"The 'other' history: that of women from prehistory to the modern era. Review of philosophical, religious, social, and political attitudes about and practices toward women. Women's lives, achievements, and roles in Western and other civilizations. Emphasis is on the United States."

Yep, that about sums it up. They cover the "other" (read, less important) history, from the dawn of time to the present, in one semester. And oh, yah, really it is all about the US. With a little bit of those "other civilizations" thrown in for good measure.

I know, they are making an effort, but what kind of effort is this?