Thursday, December 4, 2008

Last Day

Today is my last teaching day for the semester at Big City University. Next week is finals week, which means I get to sit on my tucus (also spelled: tuchus) while my students ponder the ins and outs of the development and evolution of the social welfare state in the United States in the twentieth century. I learned so many new and interesting tidbits from their papers, I feel certain that their exams will be equally enlightening.

On tap for today: New World Order. I plan to destroy the Berlin Wall and free Kuwait in about 30 minutes, including video accoutrements. If I've learned nothing else this semester, I've learned to boil down very complex issues into a steaming mass of marginally meaningful information. Basically, I spent all of graduate school learning how to make a short story long and complicated, and I've spent this semester unlearning all of those lessons. Turns out, everything can be explained on one powerpoint slide. WWII? Hitler - Pearl Harbor - D-Day - Iwo Jima - The End. Ta-da! (No, I'm not proud of this newfound skill.)

In 12 short hours, I'll be home on my couch in my pajamas, catching up on Top Chef and enjoying a large, well-deserved cocktail. But, before I can do that - must get through today.

No comments: