Sunday, September 23, 2007

Me and Jack

As I've mentioned before, I spent approximately two months preparing to move from the NEPIW. In that time, I lived at a friend's apartment, so I wouldn't have to live in the chaos at my own apartment. Despite my efforts to stay sane and organized, the disruption seeped into my daily activities in unexpected ways.

For example, one day, I cleaned out 4 years of coursework and teaching assistant notes. Amazing how the stuff that seemed so critically important magically transformed into absolute garbage. I shredded until the shredder cried "uncle."

With that task done, I headed to the grocery store, but not before grabbing the bottle of Jack Daniels. The bottle had the cap on it, but there was a noticeable amount missing - clearly this was not a new bottle of Jack. When I got to the car, I put the bottle in the drink holder, figuring it wouldn't tip over there.

I got to the grocery store with 80s pop music blaring and pulled into a parking space next to a Cadillac. Apparently, I got really close to the Cadillac because as I got out of my car, the woman who had been sitting in the Cadillac was examining the side of her car. I really didn't think I'd hit the car. I don't think I even nudged the car. I knew I wasn't paying close attention, but I desparately wanted to believe that I would know if I hit her car.

Anyway, she didn't see any damage. I apologized profusely and she laughed and said it was OK, she was just startled when I pulled in. It wasn't until I got into the grocery store that I remembered the bottle of Jack Daniels in my drink holder. The open bottle of Jack Daniels.

I'm still not really sure that anyone would believe that I was transporting the open bottle from my apartment to another apartment where I was actually living because my loud neighbors drove me out of my apartment and the fact that I couldn't park my tiny Honda Civic without hitting really expensive cars in the process had absolutely nothing to do with the open bottle of Jack Daniels conveniently placed in my drink holder. No, seriously.

No comments: