Thursday, January 1, 2009

Elevator Entertainment

Today, I made my way to the Big Apple. I successfully navigated through the airport, negotiated ground transportation, and arrived at my hotel. It's significantly colder here. Like half as warm. Literally. It was supposed to be 55 degrees at home today. Here - 27 degrees. That was last night's low in the southland. I haven't been this cold since I left the NEPIW (northeastern post-industrial wasteland). I wore my hat today, as my hair will attest.


But, since I'm not 80, I'll talk about something other than the weather. I checked into the hotel and got in the elevator, alone. The doors closed and I heard voices. These weren't the regular voices I hear in my head (oh, admit it, you hear voices, too.) No, these voices were different, strangely familiar but strangely out-of-place.


I looked above the elevator doors and there was a TV screen. You're probably expecting me to say that the screen advertised hotel amenities, announced upcoming meetings, or broadcast the ubiquitious CNN headlines. Well, you'd be wrong on all counts. Instead, this hotel decided on a Popeye cartoon. That's right - Popeye the Spinach-Eating Sailor Man.



I believe that my mouth actually dropped open. I was speechless and completely baffled. It was as if I'd entered an elevator to the parallel universe where endlessly-looped Popeye cartoons made sense. Because I'm not from this parallel universe, the situation defied all logic. Why have a TV in the elevator? Why show cartoons? Why Popeye? Why....?


I've been in the elevator several times since this initial trip to Popeye-Land, and every time, there are Popeye and Bluto. I think it's the same cartoon. Something about Popeye fighting with Bluto and eating spinach. I know that narrows it down for you.


Much to my chagrin and disappointment, I've been humming, "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man" for hours now.

No comments: