Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines

As a long-time single person, Valentine's Day is always hard. Yes, I know it's a fake Hallmark holiday, like Office Assistants' Day or Grandparents' Day. Still, constant commercials pedaling diamond heart pendants delivered by real-live teddy bears tend to put me in a sour mood.

This year, after spending much of the day in a funk, I've decided to turn a corner and embrace the spirit of the day. I don't usually tend toward sentimentalism, but I'm going to make an exception. On this day, here are 10 things that I believe about love:


  • I believe that teddy bears holding red hearts can express love, but I think the real expression of love comes in everyday kindness and forgiveness.
  • I believe in love at first sight.
  • I believe that love takes patience and understanding, and the willingness to be a companion and friend.
  • I believe that broken hearts never fully heal.
  • I believe in soul mates. To me, they are the luckiest people in the world.
  • I believe that finding love has more to do with timing than anything else.
  • I believe that peace cannot exist without love.
  • I believe that falling in love is a genuine act of bravery.
  • I believe that a child's love can melt even the coldest hearts.
  • I believe in the love of family and friends.

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: