Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow in the South

As I settle in to write this entry, I'm listening to the sound of thaw. After all, today is another day. Quite a change from yesterday's all-day snowstorm. For those keeping track, we amassed over 5 inches of the cold, wet stuff. And, yes, I did lose power - for about 15 minutes. Long enough to realize that I don't own a flashlight, but not long enough for me to decide to call it an evening, at 8PM.

Today, there's a bright sunny sky, temperatures are a balmy 50 degrees, and everywhere, the sound of melting snow echoes across the landscape. Feeling a bit restless, I took a trip out and about. I started by brushing off my car, using the NEPIW snow brush/ice scraper combo that I thought I'd never, ever need ever again. Imagine my feelings of superiority when I saw my coatless neighbors brushing heavy wet snow off their cars using their bare hands. (Insert scoffing noise here)

After brushing off the car, I headed out. "Wait 'til it melts" is clearly the official snow removal policy for my home county, and all surrounds. I made it to Home Depot, where I planned to solve my flashlight problem. Slushy snow covered the parking lot and the sidewalk into the store. I spotted a broom leaning against the wall as I entered the store. That was the only piece of "snow removal" equipment that I saw. I guess I never thought about it, but I would have assumed that Home Depot would sell snow shovels - even in Georgia. Guess not. Or maybe none of the employees have completed the "snow shovel" training module and are therefore unable to use that particular piece of equipment.

As I checked out, I noticed that the fellow in front of me was buying a bench. You know, the kind that you put in your yard, so you can sit and enjoy the cool breezes of early spring. I watched as he manhandled the bench out to his pick-up truck. I thought, "Ah, the resilience of southerners. Here's a fellow who wants a bench - and even though it makes absolutely no sense for him to risk life and limb to get to the store and then manhandle the bench across a slush-covered parking lot today, by God, he's going to get his bench!" I bet he's sitting in his yard right now, defying any dripping melting snow to fall on him.

Then, I went to the grocery store. I needed balsamic vinegar for a spinach dish I plan to make tonight. Yes, I risked life and limb for balsamic vinegar. So? While I was in the store, I heard the theme from "Chariots of Fire" come on Muzak. I was so tempted to start running in slow motion through the store. So tempted. In the end, I restrained myself.

Reminded me that a few weeks ago, I visited the earthy-crunchy grocery store on the other side of town. I found that I was totally distracted by "Bohemian Rhapsody" playing on their in-store speakers. You try buying sweet-hot Chinese mustard while listening to "Mama . . . just killed a man . . . put a gun against his head, pulled the trigger now he's dead." And, yes, I thought about doing the Wayne and Garth head-bob at the appropriate moment.

And, so, I conclude with some of the other sights from the day:


A fine effort by some very ambitious snow sculptors.

Two trees that fought the good fight.

Snow and early spring just don't mix.

No comments: