Sunday, March 29, 2009

Weekend Movie Round-Up

This semester, I've settled into a routine where I return from the Big City late on Wednesday night. I'm useless through much of Thursday, often slipping into a 2-hour coma on Thursday afternoons. Friday through Sunday, I work, alternating between grading, prepping for the next week, and keeping up with the 43,000 other things I'm supposed to be up to speed on. And, then, Monday rolls around and we start all over again.

I've worked my Netflix viewing around this schedule. I queue up a movie and the next installment of whatever TV series I'm working through. When I get home on Wednesday night, there are the two red envelopes, ready to keep me entertained through the weekend. On Mondays, I send the movies back and the whole process starts all over again. So far, so good.

Based on this weekend's viewing, I'm going to make some changes in my queue. Somehow, without much planning on my part, I've put myself through an emotional wringer this weekend. All the rain didn't necessarily help to lighten my mood - and my Netflix choices delivered the knock-out punch.

It all started when I decided to watch "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas."



Yes, I knew it was about the Holocaust, and no, I wasn't expecting a pick-me-up, happy ending. I mean, seriously, just look at the poster. But, I certainly wasn't expecting the actual ending to this film. The last 10 minutes had me tied up in knots literally. I was tied into a pretzel in the corner of my couch. I seriously considered fast-forwarding to the end of the film. Even that strategy wouldn't have spared me. I won't say anymore, except to say that it will be a long time before I can wear my own striped pajamas again.

So, after that emotionally gut-wrenching experience, I turned to the other red envelope for some relief. I've been working my way through the second season of the BBC series, MI-5.


The episodes are intense, particularly as the series winds towards a season finale. I should have remembered this. Again, I won't spoil the ending for anyone, but holy crap! A shooting and a drowning in the last 10 minutes?? Is that really necessary?

After careful consideration, I've reorganized my Netflix queue. Here's hoping next weekend will bring happy endings and sunshine.

1 comment:

jordi said...

You broke the cardinal rule of netflix you have to get one happy, one sad, never ever two tense, sad, convoluted. You needed to get something like the compilation of Looney Tunes cartoons to balance either of these choices!