Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snowing

It's snowing today. It started as rain, changed over to ice, and moved on to big, heavy wet snow around noon. At first, it looked like this:



(That's my car, by the way, serving as the dutiful comparison point. Such a good sport, my car. I'm pretty sure that it's saying, "What the hell? I thought you said there wouldn't be any more of this nonsense after we left the NEPIW! Where's my garage??")

After an hour or so, it looked like this:


The car is even more unhappy. If you look closely, I believe you can see an obscene gesture or two.

Anyway, it kept snowing, and snowing, and snowing. Now, at 4:45PM, it looks like this:


The car's obscene gestures are now hidden in the blanket of snow. I think I can still hear a muffled, and chattery expletive or two.

The snow is kind of pretty:


Any other Sunday and this weather event would have meant a guaranteed day off as the college town and Big City shut down until the big thaw. Instead, the snow arrived on the weekend that starts Spring Break. In other words, a weekend when I don't have to teach on Monday. My mother, a former schoolteacher, used to call this kind of ill-timed snowstorm, "a waste of perfectly good snow." I have a whole new appreciation for her sentiment.

The power just flickered in my apartment. Not feeling good about the snow anymore.

No comments: