Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Holiday

Last night, I watched "The Holiday." I expected that the movie would irritate me, but I was in the mood for a holiday-themed movie. The movie didn't disappoint. Two women trade houses for the Christmas holidays and perfect men show up at their doors within 24 hours of the switch. As if that premise isn't preposterous enough, the movie layers on the ridiculousness.

First, Cameron Diaz opens the door of Kate Winslet's isolated English cottage and there's Jude Law. Not your average man. Not even your average good looking man. No, it's Jude Law. And he's drunk. An endearing drunk. Not a boorish, burping, farting, smelly drunk. A beautiful, slightly tippy, slurring drunk who's happy to sleep on the couch until Cameron Diaz suggests that they have sex. And...when she announces that her ex-boyfriend gave a "thumbs down" to her technique, Jude Law still wants to have sex with her. In the morning, he doesn't say, "So, I'll call you" as he blazes a trail out the door. No, he says she's really interesting and invites her to dinner. Puuuhleeeze.

On the other side of the world, Kate Winslet finds Jack Black attractive. I really don't need to say any more about that.

Yes, I'm cynical. Yes, I'm jaded. Yes, I'm overly critical of movies. But, seriously, drunk Jude Law on your doorstep? I've rented vacation homes and Jude Law never came a-knockin', drunk or not. Maybe I'm just renting in the wrong places, or renting the wrong movies.

No comments: