Saturday, February 2, 2008

Bad Luck Continues

Follow-up from yesterday: I checked the trunk of my car, and yep, there was water in it. I'm not sure why I was surprised, given the way my life has gone for the past 10 days.

So, I got on the phone to my insurance company who set me up with a body shop here in town. Turns out, the collision buckled the back quarter of my car, which explains the trunk and bumper issues. $3000 of damages. Once I get a copy of the police report, my insurance company will be in touch with the hitter's insurance company, and in the meantime, I'm in a rental car while mine sits at the body shop. Second time in 2 weeks that I've been in someone else's car. Really getting tired of this.

The real kick in the ass is that I fill up my car, then it either loses a muffler or I get hit from behind. I then have to relinquish my car and take someone else's car. Inevitably, the borrowed car only has a quarter tank of gas in it. So, if you're keeping track, I've now purchased 4 tanks of gas for 3 different cars in the past two weeks. I think that I single-handedly explain Exxon's record profits.

And my neck hurts. It's all so cliche. Minor fender bender, then someone starts yelling "Whiplash!" I wasn't going to see a doctor, but after the trip the body shop uncovered hidden damage to my car, I decided to show the same concern for my own body. Or, maybe I've been watching too much "House" lately. Either way, the road led the doctor. Overpriced x-rays show no problems other than wrenched muscles. Should clear up in a week. I have some good drugs to take the edge off in the meantime. So, no horrible rare disease - though the way my luck has gone lately, I'm not ruling it out. At least I'd get to meet Hugh Laurie.

I finally limped home from an exhausting afternoon, made and ate an enormous plate of pasta, drank some wine, took a pain killer, headed to bed. This morning, I read the following horoscope:

"You won't have any trouble getting what you want; the problem is that you might not know exactly what that is and then blame others. Unless you can define your desires, you won't have much success."

OK, smartass horoscope writers, I'll be perfectly clear. I want my car back in one piece. I do not want anyone to run into me. I do not want anything to break on my car. I want lots of chocolate. And, I want all Valentine's Day crap to burst into flames. There. Defined clearly enough for you?

No comments: