Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Savannah

I'm spending this week in Savannah, completing my last consulting project. I agreed to do the project, in part, because I love Savannah. I also love paying my rent, which is the other reason why I said yes.


I particularly love Savannah in October - May. Late July tests my love for this place. It's hot. And it's humid. It's the kind of weather where you break a sweat walking half a block. My hair has been doing strange and wonderous things since I stepped out of my car. Thank God for rubber bands.


Even in the oppressive heat and humidity that could melt rocks, I still find charm in this great southern city. My hotel is in the heart of the historic district and I'm enjoying brief bursts of walking to restaurants for dinner. For my money, Savannah is one of the most scenic cities in the United States.


From the city's squares where oak trees draped with Spanish moss shield visitors from the oppressive sun...





To the city's museums...
And churches...






Not to mention, the Mother Ship of the Paula Deen Empire...this place has it all.





I was looking forward to my week of interviews, knowing that I'd get to spend my time in a charming room overlooking something worth seeing. It was Savannah, after all. It's not Cleveland. (My apologies to anyone who has a special fondness for Cleveland.) Imagine my dismay when I walked into this...

That's right, it's the dismalest room in all of Dismaldom. It's a vacuous meeting room in the city's Civic Center, arguably the ugliest building in town. This picture barely does justice to the room, since it doesn't capture the below freezing temperatures due to an overly enthusiastic air conditioner.


Yesterday morning, I opened the drapes, thinking that I'd at least get to look at something scenic outside. Here's what I saw:

It's the parking lot for the Sheriff's Department. At least there are palm trees.


Tomorrow afternoon, I break free from my prison as I meet with folks in their natural habitats. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my view of Bay Street from my hotel window.

1 comment:

mplasticus said...

also, it's difficult to get much done when you have to look out for drunk giant snakes.

especially after too much wine.