Sunday, July 27, 2008

Technology Update

I'm not one to run out and buy the newest, fanciest, best new whatever. I'm one to keep what I have until it absolutely won't work any more - because it has fallen apart or technology has moved forward and my gadget can no longer keep up. I figure that as long as I never know how great a new thing is, I'll be happy with the old one.

This philosophy has me driving a 9 year old car, recording oral history interviews on cassette tapes (yes, they STILL make cassette tapes), and writing my appointments in pencil in a spiral-bound datebook. Until recently, I watched a 15 year old, 17-inch TV. I have a 2 year old iPod that I'm sure is 2-3 generations behind the new ones in the stores. I only recently learned how to use my digital camera. Did you know that they make 4G jump drives now?

This week, I came to terms with my cell phone's demise. It was a great little phone. Very unassuming - no camera, no calendar, no fancy ringtones, just something to make and receive calls. The little phone still worked, but it was starting to show its age. Cracks appeared in the cover and rubber pieces stated to come loose. I decided to replace it before it snapped in half and I lost all my stored phone numbers.

My intention was to get the simplest phone I could find, preferably one that was free. I walked into the cell phone store and was immediately overwhelmed. Too many people, too much noise, too many choices, too many features written in language that I didn't understand. I waited my turn and tried to breathe.

Right before the salesman called my name, a fellow walked in and annouced that he wanted to treat 5 members of his family to the new iPhone. That's right - 5 members of his family, new iPhone. You can imagine how excited the salesman was to wait on me, especially when I showed him my 4 year old phone and said, "I want a basic phone. No camera, no extra features, just a phone. I was particularly interested in this one over here that says, 'Free.'"

He sighed audibly and explained that they just don't make phones without cameras any more. He showed me a couple of phones and again lost patience when I said, "But I don't want text messaging." He seemed completely befuddled. I didn't appear to be mentally handicapped or elderly, so why wouldn't I want every single thing that I could get? He was particularly annoyed when I pointed out that that the "free" phone wasn't "free" if I'd have to sign a 2-year contract with an additional $10/month for texting. That's $240. His response: "Umm..." as he looked wistfully toward Mr. iPhone.

In the end, I caved. Everyone else had a camera and texting, so why didn't I? I got a shiny red phone with a camera. I consoled myself with the knowledge that if all my friends jumped off a bridge, I would not follow them.


I also convinced myself that I got texting not because the salesman talked me into it, but because my same-age friends were talking about how useful it is. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now that I have it, I plan to max out on my texting every month, just because I can.

So, with a burst of speed, I think I've finally left the 1990s behind - well, not until I get rid of the cassette recorder.

No comments: