Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Summer Vacation, Part Deux

Sometimes, I wonder why I decided to overhaul my professional life and become a college professor. Then, I remember the main reason: I love summer vacation. OK, it doesn't have to be summer necessarily. I just love having 2.5 months of unscheduled time.

This summer, I'm catching up on reading and conceptualizing a new approach to the US History survey course. I've also presented at a national conference, prepared a proposal for another conference, and completed a consulting project. I say this to remind myself that I have done some work since classes ended in early May.

But - the truth is, I've been goofing off. I've never made such efficient progress through my Netflix queue. I've read a couple of novels - not for book club, not considering for a class, just for fun. I've discovered Anthony Bourdain's show on the Travel Channel. I've returned to my yoga/walking work-outs at the gym. I'm blogging more consistently. I've tried several new recipes, and as many of you know, I photographed squash.

The other evening, as I transitioned from my day uniform of sweats into my night uniform of pajamas, I noticed something. I've decided that it is the perfect metaphor for my summer.


That's right - I've worn a hole in the seat of my sweatpants. Pretty much says it all. In all honesty, these sweatpants are about 10 years old, but still. I have to say that I'm very proud of myself.

No comments: