Thursday, May 7, 2009

Church Sign

The other day, I drove by a church sign that announced the following:

There's no recession in heaven.

I'll admit that I'm not sure what the message is. Clearly they're announcing that things are better in heaven than on earth. I'm pretty sure that's not news to anyone. I mean, seriously, why call it "heaven" if things are the same, or worse, than on earth? And let's be honest, don't we all want to believe that the Almighty has figured out how to avoid economic collapse?

Are the church folks pointing out a bright side? Kind of a strange way to do it, since in order to enjoy this particular bright side, you have to find a way to heaven. There's only one way that I know of to get there. Maybe they're encouraging us to create heaven on earth. OK, that's a message that I can get behind. Or maybe they're just taunting us, "You know, while you're struggling to pay your bills on earth, there's no recession in heaven. Nah, nah, nah, nah."

Maybe I shouldn't try to read into it. Maybe they're offering comfort, however misguided that attempt might be.

No comments: