Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lumberjacks in Bhutan


Lately, I've had the urge to travel. Unfortunately, I haven't had the money or time to travel. So, I've made up for these minor deficits by watching travelogues. Through the magic of Netflix, I'm traveling through the Himalaya region with Michael Palin. (As far as I know, he does not have any Alaska relatives. I'm guessing this because he hasn't shot and killed any animals on his journey. And he's not making nasaly claims about being able to see Russia.) In his younger days, Palin was a member of the Monty Python troop - the greatest group of entertainers ever assembled. I'm on the last of the 6-part series and so far, it's been a bit slow. I didn't expect Palin to do Monty Python sketches across the mountains, but I expected some dry wit now and then. Instead, it's a lot of very edited interviews and very edited commentary. The scenery is spectacular, though.

Anyway, in this last installment, Palin is traveling through Bhutan, a tiny country with few roads that borders India and China. On his walk through the country, his guide took him to an old guy's house in the mountains. The old fellow wrote one of Bhutan's best known songs. At their urging, the guy sang his song. It was a bit difficult to follow since I don't speak Bhutanese.

When the old guy finished, Palin said, "That was very good." He chuckled nervously and continued, "I could sing a song about a lumberjack." The guide, who understood English, and the old guy who didn't, encouraged Palin to sing. Noticably uncomfortable, Palin said, "Oh no, it's rather a silly song." But then...with more encouragement, in the middle of nowhere Bhutan, he started to sing, "I work all day, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavat'ry..." He made it to the chorus, then forgot the words. I actually squealed and clapped while sitting on my couch. Made this series totally worth my time.

Here's Palin in his younger days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

I am such a dork.

No comments: