Sunday, May 10, 2009

More Favorite Things - Strawberries

I love this time of year. The semester is over, and I feel like I've been released from prison. I have time. Time to catch up on reading, time to catch up with family and friends, and time to cook good food. AND - it's strawberry season! About 2 weeks ago, I made my way through the produce section of the grocery store. As I looked over the fresh corn on the cob, my nose picked up a new scent. I turned my head and there they were - strawberries! Not those sorry little excuses for strawberries that the store carries through the winter. No, these were red, plump, and not covered in bruises.


I abandoned the corn and made a beeline for the strawberries. I wanted spread my arms and scoop all of the little plastic containers into my cart, but I decided not to be stingy. Instead, I carefully made my selection, using the skills my grandmother taught me. Turn the plastic container over to check out the strawberries hiding on the bottom, smell the container, and finally, when you've made your selection, check out 3-4 more just to make sure you've got the best of the bunch. I might not be stingy, but I am competitive.


With my strawberries secured in my cart, I backtracked to the dairy section to get a necessary accoutrement. Barely able to contain my excitement, I made my way home. After dinner, I gleefully enjoyed one of my very favorite treats - sliced strawberries covered in vanilla yogurt.

A friend has promised to go strawberry picking with me. If I thought these store-bought strawberries were good, I may end up in orbit when I get my hands on some fresh berries.

No comments: