Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Angered the Wrong Universal Force

Apparently, I've angered some very vindictive universal force. I'm not sure when it happened or how, and I'm not sure how to undo it, but I hope this force smiles on me soon. Allow me to recap the past few weeks:

1) Lost my flash drive with all of my computer files on it.
2) Computer froze and slipped into a coma, cutting off access to my files.
3) Got in traffic jam, had to cancel first class, ran a very confusing and disorganized second class with wrong version of lecture
4) Confronted a very sluggish classroom computer, tried to run class, finally aborted class, cancelled the rest of the day and went home
5) Student risked life and limb to turn on classroom projector when remote failed to work
6) CD with sound files of oral histories wouldn't rip onto my computer, complicating what should have been an entertaining lecture
7) DVD wouldn't play in my office computer
8) Couldn't watch TV at friends' house because couldn't figure out satellite TV and Tivo
9) Blew fuse at friends' house while warming food in the microwave
10) Almost lost friends' dog when I opened the garage door instead of turning on the light

And finally . . . the best of all: I returned from lunch today, unlocked my office door, and the entire door handle came off in my hand. At that point, I just started laughing. What else could I do? A colleague told me "not to fly off the handle." I took some consolation that perhaps I did have a firm handle on things, all evidence to the contrary.

No comments: