Monday, October 13, 2008

Death Takes No Holiday

We're 8 weeks into the semester and I have to say that I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the death rate among my students' friends and relatives. So far, my students have lost 3 siblings, 3 close friends, and a father. In addition, at least 5 of my students have diseases that require regular medical attention and make it impossible for them to come to class. One mother was hospitalized but is on the road to recovery. One student who started the semester on crutches is just limping now, so maybe she's healing.

The second exam is next week. Here's hoping my students' friends and relatives survive. Here's hoping my infirmed students can leave their sick beds, dragging an IV and oxygen tank with them if necessary.

Finally, here's hoping this isn't a sign of a larger curse that affects people who spend time with my students. I think I'll get my cough checked out, just to be on the safe side.

No comments: