Thursday, November 29, 2007

Project Dissertation

I love Project Runway. Sure, the over-the-top contestants get on my nerves (last seaon's Vincent and Angela, and this season's Christian and Elisa) for example), but the combination of ridiculous challenges and snarky judges wins me over every time. I have the same response to Top Chef. At least the Project Runway judges don't have to eat the failed designs.

As I watched last night, I realized that writing a dissertation is a lot like Project Runway. I'm at a point where time is running out and I'm just hoping that my committee (the judges) don't see unfinished hems and puckered seams. Most of all, I'm hoping they don't see that the whole thing is held together with safety pins, ready to collapse into a scrap heap in the slightest breeze. I don't think I'll use this season's Elisa's "spit marking" technique on my dissertation.

Unfortunately, I don't have a stick figure model to "work" my dissertation when it's finished. And I don't have an accessory wall where I can choose scarves, shoes, and purses to dress up my creation and hide all the flaws. Nor do I have Tim Gunn looking over his glasses at all the mounds of paper and books, giving me the stare and saying, "It looks like you have a lot of work to do. I'm concerned." OK, maybe I can do without that, but I would like to hear, "Make it work." Who knows, maybe he'd come by and say, "This is great! Really. Carry on." Let's just hope none of my committee members say, "Your dissertation is boring and uninspired. It left us sad. You're out. Auf Wiedersehen."

Perhaps I've been writing too much lately. I plan to stop in April.

No comments: