Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Defending Judy Collins

Tomorrow, I'm returning to the northeastern post-industrial wasteland to defend my dissertation on Friday (4-4-08, nice symmetry). So far, I've received positive feedback from my committee members, so I'm not too anxious about the defense.

Or I didn't think that I was. Last night, I had this dream. The department decided to hold my defense in a lecture hall b/c so many people showed up. I was freaking out. My advisor was late and when she did arrive, she introduced me to her friend, folksinger Judy Collins, who was standing next to her. My advisor said that for my defense, she decided that I should play the piano and sing some Judy Collins songs, while Collins judged my performance.

I tried to tell my advisor that I didn't play the piano and I didn't know the words to any Judy Collins songs, but my advisor just brushed me off with, "You'll be fabulous." I woke up as I was taking a seat at the piano.

I understand defense stress, but I have no idea where Judy Collins came from. Since my dream, I've been humming "The Circle Game," thinking it was a Judy Collins song. We sang it in high school chorus, and I still know the words. No telling what's been kicked out of my brain to make room for the lyrics to "The Circle Game."

Turns out, it's a Joni Mitchell song. Now I'm thinking that I'm just screwed.

No comments: