Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Random Reflections

Sometimes, things happen and it's not really enough to be an entire blog entry, so these things collect until they reach critical mass. They reached critical mass today.

1) Has anyone else noticed that Hewlett Packard wraps their postage-paid recycling envelopes in plastic? They even print "Thank you for being environmentally responsible" on the envelope - then encase it in plastic wrap. Can anyone explain this to me, because it just doesn't seem to make much sense.

2) Today, in class, I lectured on the compromises of the 1850s leading up to the Civil War. When I got to the revised fugitive slave law, my one and only black student got up and left the room. I managed to NOT make an inappropriate comment. I did have a rather long pause, trying to figure out if there was an appropriate comment. Deciding that there wasn't, I carried on.

3) The other day, I passed two women in the hallway outside of my office. One said, "I just think Judy needs to be more assertive." The other didn't say anything but must have made a face, because the first one said, "Oh, don't you think so?" I guess she's only good at identifying insecurity in others, but she's not sure.

More as circumstances dictate.

No comments: