Friday, April 25, 2008

Why is the blood gone?

Yesterday, as I drove on campus, I noticed that the Bloodmobile was back. I would swear that this is the third time that the Red Cross vampires have been on campus this semester. I've heard of colleges bleeding students dry, but this is really taking it up a notch.

As I neared the bus, I took note of some very strange things. First was the large inflatable red drop of blood wearing a big smile. It must have stood over six feet tall. I know that it was designed to take some of the fear out of getting jabbed in the arm, but seriously, a big smiling drop of blood is just creepy.

The giant drop of blood nearly dwarfed one of those tents without sides. Under the tent, Captain Jack Sparrow enlisted volunteers and distributed literature. You read right - Captain Jack Sparrow, complete with dreads, pirate garb, and kohl eyeliner. I almost drove off the road. I can say with certainty it was not Johnny Depp (too tall). I'm still not sure what Jack Sparrow has to do with a blood drive. Jack Sparrow is not a vampire. Wouldn't Spike from Buffy be a better recruiter? Unless Jack Sparrow is using the blood to remove a curse from ill-gotten pirate gold, I'm not sure why he was at the blood drive.

As if that wasn't bizarre enough, as I walked to my evening class, I noticed Jack Sparrow was packing up. He'd removed his jacket, shoes, and hat (picture Jack Sparrow stranded on the island with Elizabeth Swann in Pirates 1). I half-expected him to exclaim, "But why is the blood gone?!" Instead, he simply disassembled the tent and packed up his pamphlets - in Jack Sparrow regalia the entire time. Totally out of character. We all know that the real Jack Sparrow would have tricked Will Turner into cleaning up while he drank rum under the shade of a palm tree.

When he finished, Jack Sparrow climbed behind the wheel of the ginormous Bloodmobile bus (Black Pearl on wheels) and steered off campus. I think I heard exclaim as he drove out of sight, "Now, bring me that horizon."

No comments: