Friday, May 23, 2008

Gainful employment

Yesterday, it finally happened. I was offered a full-time job - the kind that comes with a relatively decent salary and benefits. After seven years of carefully avoiding entangling alliances with employers, I will return to the life of regular and consistent paychecks. No more estimating quarterly taxes. No more paying for my own health insurance. No more saving every nickel because I don't know when the next nickel might appear. I really don't think I'll know how to function.

The job is a temporary faculty appointment. In the new lingo of academia, this means that I can have the exploitive position for up to three years. I can't even hope for tenure. It is "one small step from adjunct, one giant leap away from living on dog food in my car."

Best of all, I don't have to move. I get to stay right where I am, which is right where I want to be. I'm still pinching myself.

I'm planning to celebrate by finally replacing my crap TV. Next up - the vacuum cleaner goes to the shop. Do I know how to show myself a good time or what?

No comments: